Tuesday, 3 October 2017

A Perspective on the Blessed Sacrament from the Imitation of the Sacred Heart


OF THE MARVELOUS INSTITUTION OF THE MOST 
BLESSED SACRAMENT OF THE EUCHARIST. 

1. The voice of Jesus. I am the living Bread, 
that came down from heaven. He that comes to 
Me shall not hunger, for the Bread which I shall 
give him, is My Flesh for the life of the world. 

When I had said these things, My Child, the
Jews disputed among themselves, saying : How can 
this man give us His Flesh to eat? 



CHAPTER II. 575 

And, in reply to them, I declared positively : 
Verily, verily, I say to you, unless ye eat the 
Flesh of the Son of man, and drink His Blood, ye 
shall not have life in you. 

For My Flesh is meat indeed, and My Blood is 
drink indeed. 

2. Before the festival day of the Passover, know 
ing that My hour had come, that I should pass out 
of this world to the Father, having loved My own 
who were in the world, I loved them unto the end. 

It being now evening, I sat down to the last 
Supper, and the twelve Disciples with Me : to 
them, as they were seated around, I said : With 
desire, I have desired to eat this Passover with 
you. 

And whilst they were at Supper, I took bread, 
and blessed, and broke, and gave it to My Disciples, 
saying : Take ye and eat ; this is My Body. 

And taking the chalice, I gave thanks, and 
gave to them, saying : Drink ye all of this; this is 
My Blood. 

Do this for a commemoration of Me. 

3. The voice of the Disciple. These, then, are 
Thy words, Lord God, truth eternal, whereby Thou 
didst solemnly promise beforehand, that Thou 
wouldst give Thyself to us as the Bread of Life : 
these are the deeds, whereby Thou didst after 
wards truly fulfill, what Thou hadst promised. 

Thy Church, taught by these words and deeds, 
even before they had been recorded, enjoyed this, 



576 THE FOURTH BOOK. 

Thy divine gift ; and was doing this, as Thou hadst 
enjoined, for a commemoration of Thee. 

By these words, Thou didst overthrow and 
thwart the foreseen difficulties of infidels, and the 
objections of heretics, and the temptations of 
demons. 

For, by them, Thou taughtest, that whatsoever 
Thou, the infallible truth, utterest, 
must be believed, even if we do not understand, 
how these 
things can be. 

And through the holy Church, Thy true Spouse, 
we know the things Thou didst utter ; but in what 
manner the mysteries which Thou didst proclaim 
by words, are inwardly constituted, or realized, 
that we do not comprehend, since our limited 
reason cannot reach those things which transcend 
all the bounds of reason. 

If we do not understand the things which are 
below ourselves, how shall we understand those 
which are above us ? 

That a seed sown in the ground, after it has de 
cayed, grows up into a new stalk, and produces 
much fruit, we believe, because we perceive it out 
wardly ; but how these things happen intrinsically, 
although they belong to the natural order, we are 
unable to penetrate. 

Should he not deservedly be regarded as un 
sound in mind, who, whilst, by means of the senses, 
he perceives that there are mysteries of nature^ 



CHAPTER II. 577 

would not be willing to admit them, because he 
does not comprehend how they do exist ? 

Now, even by means of the senses, we perceive, 
that there are mysteries of religion revealed by 
Thee ; because faith comes by hearing : and, 
moreover, by reason itself, we see, that those mys 
teries are true ; because it is evident to reason, 
that it is impossible, that Thou, the essential truth, 
shouldst utter what is false. 

The submission, therefore, of all them that faith 
fully believe in Thee, is reasonable. But they that 
refuse to believe Thee, thinking themselves wise, 
have become fools, and altogether unreasonable. 

And it proceeds from a secret pride, instigated 
by the cunning of the devil, that they are unwill 
ing to subject to Thee, its Author, the noblest 
gift, their reason ; and to honor Thee, by the sub 
mission of the same. 

But all they, that at any time have been humble 
children of the Church, how greatly soever they 
were distinguished for their genius, have brought 
their intellect under subjection, to obey Thee by 
faith. 

By this, Thou showest, that Thou art the Lord 
of all, good towards all, no respecter of persons : and 
that from all, from the learned, as well as from 
the unlearned, Thou desirest the obedience of a 
subdued intellect, and a submissive will. 

4. Lord God, my Creator and Redeemer, I pros 
trate myself before Thee, and submit my reason 
49 



578 THE FOURTH BOOK. 

wholly to Thee : ay, my whole intellect and will, 
my body, and all my senses, in obedience to faith, 
for Thy glory. 

But it is also my glory and advantage, that I 
may return to Thee, their beginning and end, all 
the gifts of soul and body, which I have received 
from Thee ; and that, by means of whatsoever I 
have received, in the order of nature, I may freely 
co-operate with Thy grace for the supernatural 
order, and, consequently, for my own everlasting 
honor, my never-ending bliss. 

Reason and faith are both thy gifts, Lord : the 
former a natural, the latter a supernatural gift : 
both ever assist each other, are never contrary : 
both given for truth, each one in its own order. 

If I believe, because my natural reason moves me 
thereto, my faith is a natural one, neither super 
natural nor saving. If I believe, because a super 
natural motive impels me, my faith is supernatural 
and salutary. 

Blessed are they who have not seen and have be 
lieved. And, certainly, how can the senses perceive 
what does not fall under the senses ? or, how can 
reason comprehend what does not lie within the 
grasp of reason ? Or, how can the cold utterance 
of man explain that, which the exceeding love of 
Thy Heart has effected ? 

5. In the spirit, therefore, of Thy Church, I do 
firmly believe that Thou, Lord Jesus Christ, 
true God and man, art truly and substantially con- 



CHAPTER II. 579 

tained in the most Blessed Sacrament, under the 
appearance of things visible, bread and wine. 

I do firmly believe, that Thou art wholly and 
entirely present under each species, and under 
every part of each species, if they be sepa 
rated. 

I do firmly believe, that Thou, there present in 
Thy glorified state, art the same, whom, at Thy 
entrance into the world, the Angels adored, whom 
Mary and Joseph, the Shepherds and the Magi, 
worshiped under the form of a Child, who, meek 
and humble of Heart, didst go about doing good ; 
who, having died for us. didst rise again ; who, 
having gone up into heaven, art seated in glory at 
the right of God the Father. 

I do not, as the Jews, ask for signs, nor search 
into the manner ; I do not desire, like the unbe 
lievers, to understand reasons intrinsically conceal 
ed ; I do not require, like heretics, that my indi 
vidual judgment be gratified : for me the testimony 
of Thy infallible Spouse, the holy Church, which 
is the ground of the truth, is sufficient. 

I reject whatsoever is opposed to her doctrine : 
this is my security, my faith. 

6. Lord God of infinite Majesty, Thou the 
Saint of the Saints ! who art so marvelously and so 
lovingly hidden in this mystery, Thee I adore, Thee 
I worship devotedly. 

Humbly prostrate, with body and soul, in Thy 
presence, I profess before heaven and earth, that 



580 THE FOURTH BOOK. 

Thou art my God and my Saviour ; to Thee do I 
pay the supreme worship, due to Thy Majesty. 

I offer to Thee also the adorations, honors, and 
homage, which the Angels, and the Saints, and Thy 
whole Church pay to Thee. 

that all men would acknowledge Thee, would 
adore Thee, would show Thee homage and rev 
erence ! 

But, since so many fail in their duty, I, Lord, 
uniting myself with Thy Saints and Angels, and 
all faithful souls, do adore and venerate Thee, in 
their stead : and I desire, in this manner, to make 
amends for the negligence of all unfaithful souls. 

7. Jesus ! whatsoever I may be able to do for 
Thee, is as nothing in comparison of what I owe 
to Thee. 

In this most delightful Sacrament, by the pure 
love of Thy Heart, Thou hast given me whatever 
Thou possessest, Thy Body and Soul, Thy Human 
ity and Divinity, with all their treasures. I owe, 
therefore, to Thee, as much as Thou art worth, 
Thou who art infinite. 

1 give to Thee, in return, my body and soul, 
whatsoever I have, whatsoever I am : but behold ! 
after I have given all this, my debt remains in 
finite. 

It is good for me, Lord Jesus, that I am thus 
indebted to Thee, that I may be moved and im 
pelled to love without bounds the infinite goodness 
of Thy Heart. 



CHAPTER III. 581 

Mindful of Thy pure and boundless love, Jesus, 
I love Thee, in return, with my whole heart, and I 
long to be able to satisfy Thee by an unlimited 
love. 

8. Help me, most loving Jesus, that T may 
love Thee with that affection, that tenderness, that 
reverence, which love alone can inspire. 

Grant that, henceforth, I may live by pure love 
for Thee, who by infinite love livest for Me in the 
most holy Tabernacle. 

By Thy most Sacred Heart, thus made a captive, 
thus detained by love, I beg and implore Thee, so 
bind my heart to Thine, that it may be a captive 
of Thy love, and be never dissevered nor separated 
therefrom. 



CHAPTER III. 

WITH HOW LIVELY A FAITH THE CHURCH HAS, 
ALWAYS AND EVERYWHERE, MANIFESTED HER 
DEVOTION TO THE MOST BLESSED SACRAMENT. 

1. The voice of Jesus. My Child, the Church 
exults at this most excellent favor of My Heart, 
and venerates this supreme miracle of My love with 
every demonstration of devotedness. 

Enraptured at the excess of the goodness of My 
Heart, she melts with love for Me, she rejoices se- 



582 THE FOURTH BOOK. 

curely in the possession of My most delightful 
presence, and continues to rejoice, whilst genera 
tions pass by, whilst the face of the earth is changed, 
and ages speed away. 

Behold ! in every age of the past, from the East 
and the West, from the North and the South, the 
children of the Church have arisen, and have called 
their Mother blessed, on account of so great a love 
of My Heart, which abides with her all days even 
to the consummation of the world. 

In this presence, uninterrupted, and full of mu 
tual love, I celebrate the great Supper, the divine 
festival of My spiritual nuptials, with My immacu 
late Spouse, the holy Church. 

To these the faithful are invited and called, be 
they poor, and weak, and blind, and lame, that the 
house may be filled with guests, and that their joy 
may be full. 

2. The voice of the Disciple. Hear ye this. 
mortals, and come ye clothed with the nuptial gar 
ment. Here taste ye, and see how sweet is the 
Lord. 

To this sacred banquet, at which the Angels 
minister, all the truly faithful do, always and every 
where, come adorned with this festive garment, 
that, being pleasing to the Lord, they may, whilst 
they are nourished and refreshed, rejoice with 
Him. 
 
No sooner had the Church emerged from the 
persecution of three hundred years, than, rejoicing 
and crowned with laurels, she, in her first general 
Council, her sons having been assembled from 
every part of the world, regulated the manner in 
which the divine Sacrament should be dispensed 
throughout the world, in order that so sacred a 



584 THE FOURTH BOOK. 

mystery, might everywhere be handled with holy 
awe. 

She does not bring forward new things, but, faith 
ful guardian of her deposit, she recalls and incul 
cates the ancient practices. " Neither the Rule, 
says this watchful Mother; " nor custom has handed 
it down, that they, who have not the power of offer 
ing the Sacrifice, should present the Body of Christ 
to them that offer the same. Let them receive ac 
cording to their rank the Holy Communion from the 
Bishop or the priest, after the clergy." (1st Nic. 
Counc., Cent. IV.) 

Behold the most Holy Communion ! behold the 
Sacrament of the Lord ! " For under the appear- 
ance of bread, He gives us His Body, under the ap 
pearance of wine He gives us His Blood, that, when 
you have received the same, you taste the Body and 
Blood of Christ, having become partakers of His 
Body and Blood : for thus we become Christiferi, 
that is, bearing Christ in our bodies : thus, according 
to the blessed Peter, we are made partakers of the 
divine nature." (S. Cyril of Jerus., Cent. IV.) 

" Bread, indeed, it is before the sacramental 
words : but when the Consecration has been pro 
nounced thereon, of bread it becomes the Body of 
Christ. By which words then, and by whose lan 
guage is th^ Consecration made ? By the words 
of Christ the Lord. Therefore, the Word of Christ 
effects this Sacrament. Which Word of Christ? 
The one, whereby all things were made. The Lord 



CHAPTER III. 585 

commanded, and the heavens were made : the Lord 
commanded, and the earth was made : the Lord 
commanded, and every creature was produced. You 
see, then, how effective is the word of Christ. If, 
then, there is so great a power in the word of the 
Lord Jesus, that things, which were not, began to 
exist, how much the more effective is it to change 
into another, that which did already exist ? He 
spoke, and it was done." (S. Ambros.. Cent. IV.) 

" Sacrament of godliness ! sign of unity ! 
bond of charity ! He that desires to live has 
where he may live, whereby he may live. Let him 
become incorporate that he may receive lii e. Let 
him not be a decayed member, which deserves to 
be cut off; let him not be a misshapen one, of which 
he is ashamed. Let him be fair, fit, sound : let 
him cleave to the body : let him live of God for 
God." (S. August., Cent. V.) 

" As many of us, therefore, as become partakers 
of this Body, let us reflect that we taste Him, who 
is seated above, who is adored by the Angels. That 
which the Angels dare not freely gaze upon, by 
reason of the dazzling splendor, by that we are here 
nourished, to that we are united, with that we be 
came one body. In order, therefore, that we may 
not only become this by charity, let us also in very 
deed be blended with that body : for this is effected 
by the food which He has granted to us. Let us, then, 
go away from that table, like lions breathing fire. 



586 THE FOURTH EOOX. 

having become an object of dread to the devil." 

(S. Chrysost., Cent, V.) 

" How goodly is that Bread, which nourishes the 
Angels by its outward appearance, that they may 
be sated therewith in the land of bliss; and us by 
faith, that we may not faint on the way. That 
man might eat the Bread of Angels, the Creator of 
Angels became man, nourishing both, and remain 
ing whole and entire." (St. Fulgent., Cent. VI.) 

4. " They, however, that live wickedly, and do 
not cease to communicate, thinking, that, by such 
a Communion, they are cleansed, let them learn, 
that they make no progress toward a cleansing, but 
toward condemnation. For the Body of Christ is 
the food of Sainte." (St. Isid. of Seville, Cent. 
VII.) 

Prepare ye, therefore, your heart. " For the 
Eucharist is a Communion, whereby we have fel 
lowship with Christ, and receive His Humanity 
and Divinity, and unite ourselves between us." 
(St. John Damasc., Cent, VIII.) 

"Let them hear, then, who wish to weaken this 
word of the Body, as if it were not the true Body 
of Christ, which is now celebrated in the Sacrament 
by the Church, nor His real Blood. They seem 
desirous to approve or invent something new, as if 
it were merely a certain virtue of Christ s Body or 
Blood, so that the Lord is made to speak falsely, 
when Truth itself says : This is My Body. He did 
not then say, when He broke and gave the bread ; 

CHAPTER III. 587 

This is, or in this mystery is a certain virtue or 
figure of My Body, but He said plainly : This is My 
Body : and, therefore, it is what He said, not that 
which any one may imagine. No one has as yet 
openly gainsaid that, which the whole world believes 
and confesses." (St. Paschas., Ab., Cent. IX.) 

5. " In churches, the Eucharist is always acces 
sible : which custom the ancient churches have 
preserved." (Luitprand., Cent. X.) 

Wherefore, " Christ cannot be accused of forget- 
fulness : Christ does not enjoin things contrary to 
His commands. He is the Bread that came down 
from heaven, which is daily brought to the table 
of the Church, as a heavenly food, which is broken 
for the forgiveness of sins, which feeds and nour 
ishes unto life everlasting them that eat the same." 
(St. Peter Damian., Cent. XI.) 

" Neither need we pretend that to this our age 
is denied, either that apparition, which was vouch 
safed to the Fathers of the ancient Covenant ; or 
that presence of His Body, which was exhibited to 
the Apostles. Since, to them that consider faith 
fully, neither the one nor the other can be wanting. 
Surely, it cannot in the least be doubted that, in 
the Sacrament, we have even now present with us 
the true substance of His Body. We have revela 
tions, but in spirit and in power, so that it is proved 
that naught is wanting in any kind of grace " (St. 
Bern., Cent. XII.) 

6. " The delighfulness of this Sacrament none 



588 THE FOURTH BOOK. 

can adequately express, whereby spiritual sweetness 
is tasted in its very source : and the remembrance 
of that most excellent charity which He manifested 
in His Passion, is recalled to mind. Wherefore, 
that the immensity of this love might be the more 
intimately imprinted in the hearts of the faithful, 
at the last Supper, when, after He had celebrated 
the Passover with His Disciples, He was about to 
pass from this world to the Father, He instituted 
this Sacrament, as an everlasting .memorial of His 
Passion, the fulfillment of the ancient figures, the 
greatest of the miracles wrought by Him, and the 
exceeding comfort of those that were saddened by 
His absence." (St. Thorn. Aq., Cent, XIII.) 

" A spiritual and interior person finds in the 
partaking of the Body of Christ Jesus twelve ex 
cellent fruits: Fortitude, to forsake easily things 
earthly and perishable: Progress, in the things 
relating to salvation : Elevation of the soul above 
whatever is outside of God : Strength to practice 
good : Enlightenment of the understanding more 
perfectly to know God, and all things which are 
seen in the mirror of eternity : Fervor of love for 
God: Fulfillment of those things, which beget hap 
piness : a Treasure of wealth : a constant Cheer 
fulness of spirit: a certain secure Firmness; per 
fect Peace : Union of the soul with God." (Thauler, 
Cent. XIY.) 

" precious, magnificent, saving banquet, replete 
with every delight 1 By this, sins are cleansed 



CHAPTER III. 589 

sway, virtues increased, the mind is enriched with 
the abundance of all graces." (St. Antonin., Cent. 
XV.) 

7. Wherefore, delivering her doctrine concern 
ing this august and divine Sacrament which the 
Catholic Church, instructed by Jesus Christ our 
Lord Himself, and by His Apostles, and taught by 
the Holy Spirit, who always inspires her with every 
truth, has ever retained and will preserve to the 
end of the world, she teaches, and openly and 
simply professes that, in the bountiful Sacrament of 
the Eucharist, after the Consecration of the bread 
and wine, our Lord Jesus Christ, true God and 
man, is truly, really, and substantially contained 
under the appearance of those visible elements. 

She warns, exhorts, prays and entreats, through 
the tender mercy of our God, that all and each one 
of those that bear the name of Christian, do meet 
and agree, in this sign of unity, this bond of char 
ity, this symbol of concord, mindful of so great a 
Majesty, and so eminent a love of Jesus Christ our 
Lord, who, as the price of our salvation, laid down 
His beloved life, and gave us His Flesh to eat : 
that they do believe and revere these sacred mys 
teries of His Body aud Blood, with constancy and 
firmness of faith, with devotedness, and piety and 
worsr r of spirit, so that they may be enabled fre- 
quently to receive this supersubstantial Bread, and 
that this may truly be to them everlasting life and 
breath of the soul. 



590 THE FOURTH BOOK. 

Thai, being invigorated by the strength thereof 
they may be enabled, from the journey of this 
weary pilgrimage, to come to the heavenly country, 
there to eat the same Bread of Angels, that 
now they eat hidden beneath the sacramental veils. 
(Council of Trent, Sess. 13, Cent, XVI.) 

8. Lord God ! how did the faithful, through 
all ages, burn to honor Thee in this Sacrament of 
Thy love ! with what piety did they strive here to 
exhibit for Thee the utmost reverence ! How they 
did exert themselves to show due gratefulness to 
Thy Heart, and to compensate by love for the love 
of Thy Heart ! 

And, therefore, too, should we be blamed, we, 
the heirs of the faith once delivered to the Saints, 
we, the children of the Saints, were we to grow 
lukewarm in this devotion of devotions, in this 
chief point of our Religion ; whilst so long a suc 
cession of ages calls forth our lively faith, when so 
great a multitude of the faithrful of all times and 
places throughout the world, stimulate us by their 
example ; and since so great a goodness of Thy 
Heart excites our hearts. 

Enliven our faith, most loving Jesus, and, when 
enlivened, increase it unceasingly. Strengthen our 
hope and confidence. Enkindle and inflame our 
love. 

Grant, Lord, that we may ever be enabled to 
worship in the spirit of faith, to vene.vate devotedly 



CHAPTER IV. 



591 
 
this most sacred and most sweet Mystery, and to 
partake worthily thereof. 
 
CHAPTER IV. 

THAT THE MOST SACRED HEART OF JESUS, IN THE 
SACRAMENT OP HIS LOVE, IS PERFECTLY BLISS 
FUL. 

1. The voice of Jesus. That for which My Heart 
longed, that which It sought through every excess 
of love, this It now enjoys contented in the Holy 
Sacrament of the Eucharist. 

Behold ! now not only the justice of My heav 
enly Father, but also the love of My Heart is 
satisfied. Herein rejoices and exults My Heart, 
that nothing is now wanting to Its wished-for bliss. 

Rejoice with Me, My Child ; because here is the 
joy, the delight, the blessedness of My Heart. 

Here is the new heaven, wrought and adorned 
by skill divine, where My Heart is well-pleased 
and blissful all days. 

All these I willingly do without: nay, frequently 



592 THE FOURTH BOOK. 

even I am wont to be surrounded with what the 
world shuns and abhors. Yet My Heart is com 
pletely contented and blissful. 

2. Why should not My Heart be happy here, 
since in this Paradise of supernatural delights It 
overflows with a torrent of divine joys, and supreme 
sweetness? 

I am perfectly happy in Heart by possessing 
those things, which as the Son I have by inherit 
ance from the Father, and which, as the Saviour of 
the world, I have acquired at the price of My life. 

But thou, My Child, wherein dost thou seek thy 
felicity? is it also in the divine union, in supernal 
communing, in the sweet consolation of the divine 
good pleasure ? 

Dost thou not sometimes lose the joy or even the 
peace of thy heart, because thou hast not that which 
gratifies nature ? Art thou also, according to the 
divine Will, gladly deprived thereof? 

Look thou attentively, Child, and be persuaded, 
that thy heart, like Mine, cannot be made happy 
by the love and enjoyment of things sensible, of 
objects created, but of those which are supernatural 
and divine. 

3. Here, moreover, is My Heart blissful, by 
reason of the happiness which the faithful draw 
from this fountain of blessings, whereof they par 
take with Me. 

As a good father experiences happiness, when ha 



593 

finds himself among his beloved children; so do I 
in the midst of My people. 

Here the faithful, as children most dear to My 
Heart, are trained and formed by Me; they ban 
quet, they entertain themselves with Me : they drink 
in the generosity and fortitude of My Heart : they 
are incited to emulate My virtues : yea, they learn 
to glorify and delight in the same things with Me. 

For this is My Heart glad indeed, as It deems 
Itself happy whensoever It has made others happy. 

Rejoice with Me, My Child, seeing that thy hap 
piness is not only an object of care, but also of joy 
to My Heart. 

4. if thou knewest, how great a bliss My 
Heart does, over and above, enjoy here, on account 
of the tenderness, the devotedness of the love of so 
many souls, that, in every state and condition of 
life, are wholly consecrated to Me, and live, with 
every affection of their heart, for Me alone ! 

Here, My Child, here is Benjamin with Me in 
ecstasy of mind. Here are pure souls enraptured 
with heavenly delights, wherewith the Angels them 
selves are inebriated. 

Here those generous souls, although weak by 
nature, form great and noble designs for Me, and 5 
by affection and deed, make compensation for the 
sacrifices of My love, consecrate themselves wholly 
to My interests. 

And should not I be delighted with a love so great, 
BO tender, so chaste ? Should I not pour forth My 
50 



594 THE FOURTH BOOK. 

whole Heart upon them ? shall I suffer Myself to 
be overcome by tenderness and generosity of love ? 

My delight is to be with the children of men: 
the height of My delight to enjoy the love of pure 
souls, and, in return, to make them taste the sweets 
of My love. 

5. Here, therefore, is My Heart in various ways, 
and perfectly replenished with bliss ; yet, if there 
be any who are ungrateful or degenerate, and who 
are. insensible to My love, or act unjustly towards 
My Heart, they only can make themselves wretched, 
but cannot render Me unhappy. 

For, since I am risen to a life of glory, I die no 
more; neither am I affected by sorrow. My joy, 
My beatitude, is perfect and complete : none shall 
take it away from My Heart, none shall lessen the 
same. 

As My Heart is personally united to the Divinity, 
It is blissful with the beatitude of the very Di 
vinity. 

And, therefore, in order that My Heart may be 
perfectly blissful, It needs no external means ; for, 
whether these be present or absent, It will ever be 
most blessed. 

No less blissful in the hut with the dying poor, 
than in the palace of the nobleman or king ; as 
blissful in the Tabernacle of the altar, as upon the 
throne in heaven. 

Foi the reason of My beatitude is within ; whence 



CHAPTER IV. 



595 



I am ever the very same in every place, at all times, 
under all circumstances. 

This is the inner recess, where I have placed My 
abode, where I dwell in light inaccessible, where I 
enjoy a full and unchangeable beatitude. 

6. The Angels that throng around Me are filled 
with wonder, and prostrate they worship, and exult 
ing they exclaim : Let us be glad, and give glory to 
our God ! 

And much more are they rejoiced at My bliss 
than at their own j for, rapt in Me, and forgetful 
of themselves, in their exceeding love for Me, they 
exult with Me amid joys unutterable. 

In like manner, do many faithful souls, although 
still in the body they experience the miseries of this 
mortal life, rejoice exceedingly, because I am 
what I am : and they derive the highest happiness 
from this, that they know that I am supremely 
blessed. 

And thou also, My Child, if thou lovest Me 
truly, wilt surely rejoice for that I am blissful, not 
only in the enjoyment of the highest glory at the 
right of God the Father, but also in this Sacrament 
of the love of My Heart. 

7. The voice of the Disciple. Thou art My wit 
ness, most sweet Jesus, and knowest that, through 
love for Thee, I rejoice at Thy perfect beatitude 
in the most delightful Sacrament of Thy Heart. 
Yea, Lord, my heart and my whole soul rejoice 



596 THE FOURTH BOOK. 

in Thee, because Thy Heart is blessed, and is con* 
firmed in blissfulness forever and ever. 

how truly must the highest joy overwhelm me, 
because, Thy Passion being now over, Thy glory 
and bliss are full, and placed beyond every change I 

It is true, that, since I still have to endure the 
hardships of my banishment, the time has not yet 
^ome to rejoice at my own glory and bliss everlast 
ing : but, meanwhile, it is enough for me that Thou, 
my God, my Saviour and Father, rejoicest to the 
utmost fullness, in glory and beatitude supreme. 

This is for me a reason to rejoice, and to rejoice 
with my whole heart, even while I abide and weep 
in my captivity, and call to mind my everlasting 
inheritance in heaven, which, as God, Thou hast 
prepared for me, which, when lost, as Saviour, Thou 
hast repurchased for me, which, as Father, Thou 
bequeathest to me. 

And because it is meet and just, that I do love 
Thee more than myself, and whatsoever is my own j 
so, in like manner, it is right and wholesome, that 
I do rejoice more at Thy beatitude, than at my own 
happiness, either present or future. 

And in reality, Lord Jesus, I do rejoice more 
intensely on account of Thy glory and blessedness > 
than on account of any honor or exaltation of my 
own, on account of any joy or consolation what 
ever. 

But I also rejoice, with all my heart, at the very 
joy wherewith Thy Heart is replenished by the 



CHAPTER IV. 597 

happiness, the devotedness, the love of so many 
souls, throughout the earth, consecrated to Thee. 

8. Grant, most kind Jesus, that I too may be 
of the number of those, who in return love Thee, 
their pure and generous Lover, with so great a 
purity and generosity. 

I ask not for the singular and marvelous favors 
granted to them so frequently and so abundantly : 
Thee, my Jesus, Thyself do I ask, as a reward 
of my labors and sorrows, if I have endured any 
for Thy sake, and as my sole happiness in all 
things. 

Not the riches or the pleasures of this world, not 
the things which flatter nature, not even merely 
sensible consolations, can render me happy. My 
bliss is, most sweet Jesus, to repose on Thy 
Heart, to enjoy Thee. 

Hard, indeed, is all rest which does not recline 
on Thy Heart : Yain are all things which are not 
referred to Thee : meaningless, whatsoever is not 
in harmony with the sentiments of Thy Heart : 
tasteless, whatsoever is not seasoned with the unc 
tion of Thy love. 

Grant me only, that, by divine union, I may pos 
sess Thee, love Thee as purely, as generously as I 
am able ; and I willingly abandon all the rest to 
others : by this gift alone I shall be most blissful 
With Thee. 



598 THE FOURTH BOOK. 



CHAPTER V. 

THE MOST SACRED HEART OF JESUS IS THE HEART 
OF HIS HOLY CHURCH. 

1. The voice of Jesus. My Heart, Child, which 
lives in the Sacrament, is the heart of My Church, 
which is My mystical Body. 

This My Body, is a living one, endowed with a 
soul. That soul is the principle of the supernatu 
ral life, which the Body lives. 

This principle of life proceeds from My divine 
Heart : for out of My Heart the Church was made ; 
which is evidently to be understood, not of the 
members, not of the Body, but of the soul. 

Many members, indeed, but one Body, which, by 
the divine principle, My Heart animates, and fos 
ters, that My life may be made manifest in the 
Body. 

The Church, therefore, consisting of a Body, 
which is its human element, and a soul, which is 
the divine element, subsists as a moral individual 
ity in the oneness of person, and in the participa 
tion of the human and divine nature. 

As the vine, by its influence, communicates the 
life-giving sap to the branches when properly dis 
posed, so do I, to the properly-disposed members 
of the Church, communicate thfi divine principle of 
Life. 



CHAPTER V. 599 

And as the vine and the branches are one, so am 
I and the Church, in a manner, one. 

Truly, then, am I and the Church intimately 
united, not only by a moral, but also by a substantial 
union ; not by a sensible, but a spiritual union ; 
not by an hypostatic, but nevertheless by a per 
sonal union, in this sense, that I am so united to 
the Church, that she constitutes with Me one moral 
personality, receiving from Me her principal part, 
her soul, the divine principle of supernatural Life, 
and having, at the same time, members, each of 
them personalities, in another respect, which sub 
sist by and for themselves, truly distinct and merely 
human personalities. 

2. Thus united to Me, thus animated by a divine 
principle, the Church lives, in some manner, a di 
vine Life, a supernatural Life, a Life of merits 
worthy of everlasting beatitude. 

Nay more, it is from the same source that man 
is enabled to begin to be a member of the Church, 
when, in Baptism, he is regenerated by the water 
and the Spirit of My Heart, as the Scripture says : 
We were all baptized into one body, whether Jews 
or Gentiles, whether bondmen or free. 

For this did the water flow from My opened Side, 
the symbol of Baptism, which is the laver of regen 
eration. 

By the same principle, likewise, are the members 
of the Church intimately united. The faithful 
are, indeed, gently and happily bound together 



600 THE FOURTH BOOK. 

among themselves by many links ; but in the Sa 
crament of the love of My Heart, they become, as 
it were, incorporated with Me and endowed with 
My Spirit, and thus they become incomparably 
more closely, more sweetly, and more perfectly 
united together. 

And this is the mystery of love, whereof the 
Apostle speaks, when he says : Although many, 
we are one body, who partake of one Bread. One 
body and one spirit. 

What wonder, then, if the faithful should pos 
sess but one heart, My Heart, of whose fullness all 
receive the Spirit of Life? 

For, as in the natural body the blood, with its 
life-giving power, starts from the heart, and dif 
fuses itself through all, even the most remote and 
the least, parts which present no obstruction ; so the 
principle of the supernatural Life proceeds from 
My Heart, and is imparted to all, and every one of 
the members of My mystical Body, that present no 
obstacle. 

3. By this divine power not only does the Church 
live, but at the same time that her members are in 
timately united, by this she is nourished, endowed 
with vigor, and preserved in the perpetual bloom 
of youth. 

Yea, if any member is weak, or even, by the 
abu&e of his free-will, has hindered or cast aside My 
life-giving influence and communication, so as to 
become supernaturally dead ; so long as he cleavei 



CHAPTER V. 601 

to the Body of the Church, he can recover life it- 
Bclf and supernatural health from My Heart, if, by 
the Sacrament of Penance, he cleanses himself in 
the bath of the life-restoring and purifying Blood 
of My Heart, and thus removes the obstacle or 
hindrance. 

But the living members of the Church, as they 
are animated by My Spirit, as they are constantly 
nourished by the influence of My Heart, as, lastly, 
they abide in Me and I in them, bring forth much 
fruit, true and permanent fruit, fruit of life ever- 
Insting. 

All false religions and sects, as they neither do 
nor can receive Life from My divine Heart, since 
they are altogether cut off from My mystical 
Body, are soulless beings, destitute of the princi 
ple of the supernatural Life ; and, therefore, they 
cannot bear genuine and saving fruit. For, as the 
branch of the vine cannot bear fruit of itself, un 
less it abide in the vine, so neither can men, unless 
they abide in Me. 

Do not then wonder, if the sects and false reli 
gions, like branches lopped off, wither, decay, and 
finally perish altogether. 

4. If these things, whereby the Church thus 
lives, flourishes, and brings forth fruit, are marvel 
ous and sweet, still more wonderful and sweeter far 
are those other favors, which I impart to her, and 
whereby she has a resemblance to Myself, 
51 



602 THE FOURTH BOOK. 

For, whatsoever I have by nature, the Church, 
according to her capacity, has of Me by grace. 

And, since I, who am the Holy One, animate the 
Church with the divine principle of Life, and have 
her so united to Me, that we are, as it were, one, 
ehe is necessarily holy, not only outwardly, by her 
origin, by her end, and the means she employs to 
attain to eternal bliss, but also inwardly, by her 
very soul, wherein, properly speaking, holiness re 
sides. 

By the perpetual union and influence of My 
Heart, I perfect her in holiness, that I may exhibit 
her as a Church, glorious, without blemish, or 
wrinkle, or aught of the kind. 

I cannot err : therefore neither can the Church. 
Should she err, 1 Myself should err : but I am the 
infallible truth, whence also she herself is infal 
lible. 

The words which the Father gave Me, I gave to 
her : and I unfolded their meaning, that, under the 
guidance of My Holy Spirit, she might understand 
and keep them. 

The Church, which is My Body, dies not, be 
cause I die no more ; but so she remains, until I 
come, in glory, at the end of the world. 

I Jesus yesterday, and t(.-day : the same also 
forever: and, therefore, My Heart, which vivifies 
and preserves the Church, nurses and fills her with 
vigor, sanctifies her by Its holiness, arid consolid 
ates her by Its truth endows her also with Its own 



CHArTER V. 603 

perpetual Life, and imparts to her a bright immor 
tality. 

5. Learn hence, My Child, how worthy of thy 
veneration, how worthy of thy love is the Church, 
who is so intimately united to Me, and represents 
My Own Self so completely, that she may justly 
say : He that sees me, sees also Christ. 

Be glad, Child, rejoice with all thy heart, be 
cause thou art a member of this My mystical Body, 
than which there is naught seen on earth, more 
beauteous, more noble, more marvelous. 

If thou lovest Me, love also My Church, for 
which I gave Myself up, and than which, of all 
the things that are made, in heaven and in earth, 
there is nothing dearer to My Heart. 

Above all, in the most Holy Sacrament of Mj 
love, thou wilt be more closely united in Me to the 
Church, and there wilt thou better learn of My 
Heart her spirit. 

Whosoever wishes to know the spirit of the 
Church, must learn the Spirit of My Heart ; be 
cause the Spirit of both is one and the same. 

The Church must be considered in the same 
spirit wherewith she is animated : and her manner 
of acting must be viewed, not in a worldly sense, 
but in that spiritual sense by which she is moved 
when acting. 

0! if all knew the sentiments of the Church 
which far surpass the sentiments of the best of 
mothers, since hers are the very sentiments of My 



604 THE FOURTH BOOK. 

Heart ; how fondly would they love the Church ! 
how completely would they approve all her works ! 

Do thou pray, My Child, that all may know and 
love the Church, that they may be worthy mem 
bers of this Body, animated with the Spirit of Life : 
members by whom I may be honored and glorified. 

I)o thou pray, much and frequently, that all may 
be invigorated with the sentiments of My Heart, 
and increase throughout therein, until they all meet 
into a perfect Body, and be joined in fellowship 
with the Angels and Saints, who, in heaven, are 
confirmed in union with My Heart. 

6. Meanwhile, My Child, have a special care, 
that thou abide in Me, not by faith, hope, and 
charity alone, but also by means of the Sacrament, 
by a perfect union. 

This is the one, the necessary thing for thee, 
that thou be united with Me. From this union 
arise for thee life, and vigor, and perfection, and 
holiness. 

The more closely thou art united with Me, and 
the better disposed thou keepest thyself, the more 
copious streams of graces, and supernal blessings, 
thou wilt draw upon thyself from My Heart, at all 
times, indeed, but, chiefly, in Holy Communion. 

Hence thou wilt bear much fruit of holiness, 
whereby thou wilt show forth the divine power of 
My Heart, and promote Its true glory. 

7. The voice of the Disciple. Lord, our God ! 
how wonderful, how lovely is Thy Heart I Who 



CHAPTER V. 605 

should not be astonished at the depth of the mys 
teries of Its power ! who should not be moved fry 
the boundless tokens of Its love ! 

The taking upon Thyself of our nature, was in 
deed a great and marvelous work of Thy love ; but 
O, how much greater, how much more marvelous 
was the giving of Thyself in the Sacrament ! 

In the Incarnation Thou didst assume our hu 
manity : but in the Communion Thou bountifully 
givest us Thy own Divinity, and grantest us Thy 
own Humanity. 

By assuming our nature, Thou didst come down 
to us, and live a mortal life ; but, by communica 
ting Thyself to us in the Sacrament, Thou raisest 
us up to Thyself, and impartest to us a divine 
Life. 

When Thou beeamest man, Thou didst redeem 
and gather us together : by becoming the food of 
our life, Thou unitest us to Thyself, that we may be 
perfected in Thee and through Thee. 

O Lord ! how prodigious, how delightful is the 
love of Thy Heart for us, for whom Thou workest 
such mighty things] 

Would that ail might know and love these won 
ders so stupendous, so deserving of love ! Would 
that I possessed the hearts of all, that I might con 
secrate them to Thy love. 

8. Jesus, the life and delight of my soul ! how 
unutterable is the love, wherewith Thou didst love 
mel 



606 THE FOURTH BOOK. 

For, how great a condescension of Thy love wag 
it, that, by nature, Thou didst create me in Thy 
image ! But how incomparably greater was that 
love, whereby, through grace, Thou didst raise me 
to Thy likeness ! What shall I say, what shall I 
think of that, whereby Thou didst elevate me to 
an intimate union with Thyself! Who am I, and 
who art Thou, that Thou dealest in this manner 
with me ! 

love incomprehensible ! O most sweet Jesus, 
lovely above all things lovely ! How shall I not 
die, if I love Thee not ! how shall I live, if I live 
not for Thee ! 

O Lord, the principle, the support, the end of my 
life! grant, I beseech Thee, grant that I may live 
united with Thee, that I may live through Thee, 
that I may live for Thee, to the glory and joy of 
Thy Heart, whereby Thou effectest such marvelous, 
such delightful things. 5 ^ 

* The things whereof the author speaks in this Chapter 
are very useful and consoling. But, although there is nothing 
in them which cannot be understood, yet it may be of use to 
give some explanation, and to develop that which, in the 
matter here treated, may be asserted upon theological 
grounds. 

The Head of the mystical Body of Christ, or of the Church, 
ia Christ; its members are the faithful. But between the 
Head and the members, as the author concisely says, there 
exists a union : 

1. Substantial, not simply moral, such as exists, for example, 
between the head and the citizens of a commonwealth. 

2. Spiritual, in this sense, that it is not a physical union, 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Faustina's Eucharistic Wisdom

Eucharistic Love of Saint Faustina Jesus wanted to stay with us and opened His Heart of Mercy. Jesus gave St. Faustina a clear love...